Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday, June 30, 2008

I cleaned up the garage today. I had a lot of empty boxes stored there for when I move. I got them last year when I worked at the hospital. The maintenance men saved them for me. I thought I’d be moving last year. I had some other things out there to. I packed up some of my clutter and put it out there. Leaves, dust and cobwebs were all over the place. I backed the car out and moved everything to the side where the car is usually parked. I got out the blower, put on my dust mask, and began blowing out all the dirt and debris. I put a tarp down to protect the boxes from moisture and then arranged them neatly on the other side. I then cleaned out the area where I park my car. I had dirt all over me and it felt good to shower it off.

I also gave Danny his bath. It is almost time for him to get his flea medicine so I give him his bath just before. The stuff is waterproof but I still don’t want to bath him just after I put it on. He does not look like a happy camper when he’s getting his bath. He does like being dried of and have the blow dryer dry him. He likes to rub his face in the towel. He is nice and clean and fluffy.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/30/08 10:21 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday, June 29, 2008


Don and I went to Atlantic City yesterday. We climbed up Absecon Light. It is the tallest lighthouse in New Jersey. We were huffing and puffing most of the way up. What great exercise it would be to climb up the lighthouse everyday or a couple times a day as the volunteers do.

It was cool and breezy at the top with a spectacular view of Absecon Island. When we descended to the bottom, we went to the boardwalk. It was in the 90degrees yesterday and the boardwalk was hot. We walked along the boardwalk visiting Steel Pier and the new Mall at Caesar's. Steel Pier was a disappointment. It had an amusement park with rides mostly geared for children. The Mall went out over the ocean and was filled with expensive shops. We made our way back to The Taj Mahal and had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. It was crowded due to Ringo's performance that night. We had to wait at the bar for about a half hour until our table was ready. I was hot so I ordered an ice tea. Don had a drink and it was $10.90 for the two drinks. The music was turned up entirely too loud. Don had been to other Hard Rock Cafes and the music was not that loud. I don't know how the waiter could hear what we ordered. I'm not into hard rock; I like soft rock. We went back out to the boardwalk for another stroll before we had to go to the show. It was still warm out. They let us into the Arena about 7pm. It was freezing in there with the air-conditioning. I'm glad I brought a long sleeve shirt.

It is interesting to watch the people. An announcement was made that taking pictures was expressly prohibited. Not many people paid attention. Flashes were going off all over the place including a lady sitting next to Don. The flash would catch the corner of my eye and I had to resist a strong urge to grab the camera and snap a few hundred shot in her face. A lady in front of Don, bobbed her head back and forth to the beat of the music for two hours. She looked like a bobble head. The lady next to me rocked back and forth the whole time and rocked the entire row. I almost felt seasick.

Ringo gave an outstanding performance and is quite the entertainer. He sang some of his new album as well as a couple old favorites like "Yellow Submarine". He had a team of all stars with him, gave them introductions, and told of their accomplishments. They had been top musicians performing with stars such as Aretha Franklin. You don't hear too much about the musicians in other groups who are not the main star. Each had a few numbers and solos that they performed last night. The All Stars work together touring for the summer.

After the show, we went back to the boardwalk for an ice cream before heading home. It took us an hour to get off the island as all the people from the show were leaving at the same time as well as people from other Casinos. I was pretty tired out and didn't get to bed until about 1am. Danny had spent the night at Erica's. I picked him up this morning. Erica had her colt, Kenny attacked by the coyote. He is about a year old. The coyote bit his neck. He is OK but the coyotes are a real worry. They must be pretty hungry to go after horses. They must have eaten the small game, as there were lots of rabbits and turkeys on the ranch.

Many thanks to Carl who used to work with Ted and me at Eastern Business. Carl was in Vineland with his family for a couple weeks. He took time out of his vacation to help me with some concerns I had with my computers. The one computer was backing up just fine but this one was not. He was able to diagnose the problem and fix it. He also arranged so the network back up will back up my photos so I won't have to worry about losing them. I had some materials from Eastern Business that I thought Carl could use so we went to the storage bin and he took what he needed. He does work for Ted's former clients who need customized software.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/29/08 6:46 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Yesterday, I worked on the bench on the front porch. All the pieces fit together well and I was able to put it together. It is badly rotted though. It really needs to have new spindles and board across the bottom. I just pasted it together with bubble gum so to speak. I have to do a little sanding and touch it up with paint. I also have to spray the holes made by the carpenter bees and fill them with wood patch. They also bored some holes into my picnic table. I have to spray them at night and I have been forgetting. I’ll have to write myself a note.

I also got the hedge cut yesterday and it went well. It was not too hot yet but I was exhausted afterward. I took Danny on a short walk but it started to thunder even tho the sun was out. I cut his walk short and got ready to go to Nature Club. We had our annual picnic last night. By the time I got ready, it was pouring down rain. Danny thought he wanted to go out but I knew he wouldn’t want to go out in that. It looked like a hurricane. I put his leash on and he was all happy wagging his tail. He ran onto the porch, stopped, turned and looked at me as it to say, “Are you out of your mind?” He made a beeline back into the house.

One of the Nature Club ladies called while I was in the shower. She left a message saying the picnic would be held indoors at the park. I waited until the rain let up before venturing out. The streets were flooded and I had to make some detours. Some were passable if you drove in the center of the street. As I approached the park, I saw where the electric lines were down on the ground. The power was down at the park and we put the buffet table in front of the window so we could see the food. Someone brought battery operated candles so we had a candle light picnic. We couldn’t use the restroom however, because the water used an electric pump.

This morning, there was 2 inches of rain in the rain gauge. I had to cut off my Gladiolas; the rain had beaten them to the ground. They just started to bloom on Thursday. The petunias are beaten down too but they’ll recover. They are coming along real well. I weeded on the south side this morning. A lot of crab grass as well as other weeds were growing. It didn’t take long and I had the morning shade. The Vincas have reseeded themselves from last year and are starting to come up. I saw three Portulacas coming up. One year I had thousands that reseeded themselves.

My brother’s here. We are going to Atlantic City to see Ringo Star at the Taj Mahal.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/28/08 11:19 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Flowerblogging


Stargazer Lily. Isn't she a beauty?

Posted by tedkarol on 06/27/08 7:40 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Good news. My test results were all A OK. I had Diverticulosis rather than Diverticulitis. I am able to resume my normal diet.

I crossed another chore off my list today. I finished the molding around the hole in the spare bedroom. It didn’t come out as well as I would have liked but it’s done. It was hard to get it all lined up.

I did a lot of ironing. My summer clothers were all jammed in the closet over the winter and everytime I went to put something on, it was wrinkled. The summer cottons need to be ironed or else they look like an unmade bed. Linens are even worse.

I watered the grass today. I got the spots that are normally missed by the sprinkler and the rain. It was supposed to rain tonight but we’ll see. It always seems to miss us.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/08 9:25 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

On the Way to Cape May


I did a few chores yesterday morning and planned on going to Cape May. I thought my cousins were there but I got the date mixed up. Erica called and asked me to sub at the Business Network Group. I took Danny over to her kennel and went to the luncheon meeting. I left from there to go to Cape May. It was a beautiful day for the beach. I had printed out the emails from my cousins with their addresses in Cape May and a cell phone number. I left them on the printer and could remember only on address. I found it easily and found a parking space around the corner. Parking spaces are rare in Cape May. It is a Victorian Village with narrow streets and not enough parking spaces. I went up to the house and asked the manager about my cousins. He said he didn't think they were in but invited me to go up to the second floor and knock on the door. No one answered so he invited me to wait on the porch. It was a big porch with several rocking chairs. I thought they might be at the beach so I got my beach chair out of the trunk, put on my sun blocker and my hat and walked a block to the beach. There were Badge checkers at the entrances so I had to but a beach tag to go onto the beach to look for my cousins. I walked up and down the beach for a few blocks staring at the groups of people for someone I recognized but to no avail. I put my beach chair down and read a couple chapters of my book while listening to the roaring surf crashing on the sand. The sun was hot but there was a nice cool breeze coming off the water. It was relaxing and enjoyable. After I read a couple chapters, I decided to go back to the house and wait on the porch.

I called the doctor's office. My results were in but the doctor wasn't. They said he'd call me tomorrow. I got a mango water ice at Rita's Water Ice. If you have Rita's in your area, give them a try. It goes down well on a hot day.

I walked back and put my chair and beach bag in the trunk and went up to the house. The manager was sitting on the porch and I said I decided to take him up on his offer to sit on the porch. He said after I left, he checked his book and found my cousins were scheduled to come in July. I felt like an idiot. I told him OK, I'll see you in July.

I drove home and pulled into Erica's lane. It is a one-car lane and a cloud of dust with a police cruiser was heading straight at me. Luckily, there was a grassy patch for me to get out of the way. I drove thought the cloud of dust and saw the animal control van there and a lot of people standing around. The Vet was also there. A coyote had bitten one of Erica's horses. She said that was the eighth horse that was attacked by coyotes in the area. Two colts were killed. They are 80-pound coyotes and are the size of German Sheppards. The Game Wardens says there is nothing they can do. They are wild animals and have rights. If they are attacking a domestic animal, you can shoot them. Erica said, "What am I supposed to do walk around the ranch carrying a loaded gun?"

Danny is safe. He is in an entirely enclosed structure. The fence is 8 feet tall and is covered with a roof. The goats, donkeys and horses have electric fences. The coyotes can easily jump over or crawl under the electric strips. Erica was very upset. I'm glad her horse only had a minor injury.

I didn't feel tired but I feel asleep watching TV. That why I didn't blog last night.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/08 9:52 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Prickly Pear Cactus in Bloom


Today, I took some documents to my accountant and headed to the bank to close out the company account. One-step closer to closing down the company and another thing crossed off my list. I then went to my former office building to make copies of documents the accountant will need to close the business. I talked with Ann for a while. Both of her parents are having health problems. I popped in to say Hello to two of the men who work in the office building. We all used to have lunch together.

I packed up some of my family photos I had on the walls and on my tables. I am getting the house ready to put on the market.

I also did some weeding on the east side and some along the front. Crab grass is growing in the front along with soiza grass and another variety. A lot of clover. It went pretty fast. I had watered earlier in the day so the soil was still damp.

I heated up a chicken leg for dinner. I haven’t had meat for over a week and I’m tired of this illness. It’s time to move on. I also cooked up some fresh beets I had bought before I got sick. I enjoyed my dinner. I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt me. The doctor wasn’t in today and neither were my results from the tests. They said to call back tomorrow afternoon. I am anxious to find out whether I have to be concerned about anything.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/24/08 9:41 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Monday, June 23, 2008

Lily Blogging


More Orange lilies. These are on the east side near the driveway.

I talked to the Social Security man today. He needed information from 2006. For some reason, they didn't have that information. I faxed it to him. I had some things to take to the accountant but I'll do it tomorrow. I went to the super market and got some things to eat. I got some Rice Chex. I only had oat cereals. I also got a couple bananas. They still had strawberries but they are not on my list. I don't know about blueberries and cherries. The store had both.

Danny has been wanting me to play tug of war a lot lately. He is cute. He likes to fetch but doesn't like to give. I have to tug for a while until I can squeak the toy and he let's it go. I throw it and he goes charging after it bringing it back to me but not letting go.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/23/08 8:01 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday, June 22, 2008

I finished painting my wood pieces. I have to drill some pilot holes in them and nail or screw them into place. My bench needs to be taken apart and redone but this will have to due.

I also need to spray for those darn carpenter bees. They have drilled holes in my front porch benches and my picnic table. Then I'll have to plug them with wood patch and paint them.

Pastor Donchez preached today at our church. He is an excellent pastor. Ted liked him. His sermon was on the truth. He tells it like it was meant to be told.

Afterward, I went to lunch with my lady friends. We are all concerned about the church. There are so few attending. Today more people came because they like to hear Pastor Donchez but there were still a lot of empty seats.

I didn't do much this afternoon. I'm still not up to par. I should get the results of my tests tomorrow. I don't have patience with illnesses like this. I think a couple days taking it easy and I should be totally well again. This Diverticulitis is like the nerve damage from the shingles. It will plague me for the rest of my life. I may not be able to eat strawberries again. And what of my strawberry blizzard? Bummer.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/22/08 9:04 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday, June 21, 2008


My pink astilbe.

I worked on fixing the bench on the porch. The porch has two built in benches. Ted and I redid one of the benches as it had water damage from the sprinkler. That was years ago and now the bench has more water damage. I patched the foot of the bench with wood patch. I added several layers over the past couple weeks. I sanded it and primed it today. I primed some of the other pieces I need. I worked outside under the shade of the red maple tree. When I was done, I carried the paint into the house and placed it near the cellar door. The clothes were done in the dryer so I took them out and put them in a chair in the living room. Some how, paint got on one of my shirts. I quickly washed it off and went out to bring in the rest of my things. I noticed paint splattered in a trail from the yard. I thought that’s weird. I know I put the lid on tight. It must have been running down the side when I dipped the brush into the can. I went back in the house to check the can and it was leaking all over the floor. I took it outside and turned it upside down. There was a hole in the bottom. I have no idea how it got there. I wiped up the paint with a paper towel and then washed the floor up. It was a vinyl floor and water based paint so I was able to wash it up easily.

I went out, did some weeding in the back yard near the garage, and then trimmed the rose bushed and spent lilies in the front.

That's about all I did today besides walking Danny.

I finished my medicine this morning and tonight, I was able to enjoy a cup of tea. The medicine made the tea taste terrible. I threw out a whole gallon of iced tea. I thought it was bad. I opened a new package of tea and it tasted terrible too. I realized it was the medicine. Coffee and coke were all I could drink. I drank iced coffee instead of iced tea. Anyway, I'd glad my taste buds returned to normal. It gave me an inkling of how Ted must have felt when his food tasted terrible.

I watched a couple movies on USA. Comcast has taken AMC and TMC away when they changed the channels. I guess they are forcing us to go digital. I would but I'm going to be moving so I'll wait until I move. Where my brothers live, they have a choice of cable companies, Comcast or RCN. My brothers have gone with RCN. They feel RCN is a better deal.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/21/08 9:15 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Flowerblogging


Late blooming white azalea in the deep shade of my backyard.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/20/08 8:53 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday, June 19, 2008


Sunset over the soccer field.

I took this back in the winter. I rather liked the scene.

I felt better today. I did some weeding in the backyard but have to do some by the garage. I cleaned up some broken glass in the street. I was awakened at 5am. Some people threw beer bottles and they broke all over the street. The trash trucks crushed them even futher. Danny stepped in a piece buy luckily didn't cut his paw. He stopped and stuck his paw straight out like he does when he gets snow packed into his paws. I was able to brush the glass off. It had rained and the street was wet so I didn't see it.

I forgot to get the Barium drink for my CAT scan. I called the lab and was able to go over to get it and drink it within the 4 hour time frame. I couldn't eat anything for those four hours and they were right at lunch time. Since I was feeling better, I was hungry.

I had the scan done. It only took a few minutes.

I went to the cleaners, the library, and the post office. I sent in my retirement papers. It will be good to have some money coming in.

I walked Danny and he is in bed. I'm feeling tired myself. I'll do some reading and then hit the hay.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/19/08 8:51 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday, June 18, 2008


Easter Lily blooming in my south garden.

I crossed a couple things off my list today. I got the grass cut and the fish tank cleaned. I did some work on my early retirement. I started watering the grass. I got the front and side yard done and I'm on the back yard now.

The two sisters across the street got a new lawn mower. They were paying someone to do it but they saw me doing mine and I inspired them. I gave them a hand. They thought the oil was the gas so I took a look. The mower was different then mine and we had to consult the instruction book and look at the mower. We finally found where the oil went. I got my gas and filled them up so they could get started. Then it took us a while to get it started. We had to consult the instruction book. It was giving instructions for different models and was confusing. I had pushed the prime button a couple times but it seems you had to push it 3 times in a row. They were finally on their way. They took turns cutting. They had fun. It was a new thing for them.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/18/08 6:53 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday, June 17, 2008


A late blooming azalea. I don't know if it's a late blooming variety or it's because it's in deep shade. I also have a white in bloom now.

I didn’t feel well today. My pain has returned. I trimmed the hedge in spite of how I felt. It was getting over grown and the longer I let it go, the harder the job would be. It turned out it wasn’t too bad. The hedge has its basic shape and I just had to trim off the sprigs that grew out.

I get my CAT scan on Thursday. I hope it comes out OK. I can’t help but think of what happened to Ted. Every time we got information about his problem, it went from bad to worse. You can be fine one day and the next day you’re toast.

I have a luncheon and a dinner tomorrow that I’ll have to cancel because I won’t be able to eat anything. Today I had white toast with honey, Jell-O, and rice with turkey broth. I also had coffee, iced tea, and coke. I wasn’t very hungry so the above went down well. It is cooler today but we did not get the rain that nearby areas got. I should have watered the lawn but it is long. I’ll cut it tomorrow and then water it.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/17/08 9:30 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Monday, June 16, 2008

Lily Blogging


Red Lilies

I got my phone back in service. It was the phone company’s line. It was all corroded and they had to run a new line from a block over. When I tested the interface, it was the company interface from when we had our office at home. My home line does not have an interface. It was an old line. The good news is I didn't have to pay for the repair.

I went back to the doctor for a follow-up. I don't seem to have a full-blown case of diverticulitis or whatever. He is sending me to get a CAT scan to be sure nothing else is going on.

I was running a slight fever in his office. I don't seem to have one at home. Perhaps it was the cup of coffee I had before going to the doctor. The drive is about 20 minutes but maybe that is not long enough for the heat to go away. I had a cup before I went on Friday, also.

I still wasn't up to trimming the hedge. I drove to the bank to close out the company account but realized I just wrote two checks and they most likely had not cleared yet. I was on the same road that my friend lives on so I stopped in to see her. We had a nice long and enjoyable visit.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/16/08 9:10 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday, June 15, 2008


Blue Hydrangea on east side.

It seems the smoke in the air is coming from wildfires in North Carolina. It covered southern New Jersey with a smokey haze. Some people thought their house was on fire. I’m feeling better today but not quite up to par.

I am supposed to take it easy. My hedge didn’t get cut and it’s harder to cut when its growth is longer. It really needs a chain saw to cut it down a foot. It is over chest high and hard to do the top. The grass hasn’t’ been cut either. I did get most of the weeding done. I still have to do the last section of the backyard flowerbed but the east side is filling up with clover. It’s a never-ending job. The south side is looking good with the petunias but I have to put out the slug and snail killer before the petunias are eaten up.

I am worried about the church I attend. There were only 25 people there last week. It is very sad. I fear the church won’t be able to sustain itself. I feel sorry for the older people who have been members for many years. They grew up in that church. They will miss it. It will be harder for them to find a new church to attend. All the churches are having problems. When Ted and I were church searching, we visited a church with only 20 people attending. Another church with 300 seating capacity had only 33 attending and 11 of them were in the choir.
The Catholic churches are closing and merging with other parishes. One church once had 1200 people attending Masses. Now it has only 400. It has to merge with another church. The schools are closing too. It is sad because people have to send their kids further away to attend a Catholic School. The public schools are filled with drugs and crime. I wouldn’t send a child there.

I will probably have to be on a bland diet for a while. That will be hard because everything I have is off my diet list: Whole grain bread and cereals, meat, fresh fruits and vegetables. Well, I have to get ready for church.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/15/08 9:04 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Vineland Sunrise


Sunrise over Virginia Avenue. I took this photo awhile ago but didn't post it until now. This was taken out my stairway window.

I'm feeling a lot better this afternoon. I felt horrible this morning. Perhaps it was the air quality. It smelled like wood smoke outside. I wonder if there is a forest fire somewhere. One time there was a forest fire in Canada and we could smell it from here in Southern New Jersey.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/14/08 4:14 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Flowerblogging


Yellow Dalia.

I went to the Doctor's this morning. I had a pain in my lower abdomen yesterday. It didn't go away and I had a low grade fever. My neighbor very kindly drove me there. I have Diverticulitis. I'm on a clear liquid diet for a couple days with maybe some dry white toast, pasta and rice.

I am to take it easy for a couple days. That rules out my trip to the shore to meet my friend. Bummer! My hedge didn't get cut and my grass needs mowing. It's amazing how much they grow.

I closed my eyes for the last commercial of Doctor Who and woke up to Battlestar Galactica. I missed the ending of the Doctor and I can't stand Battlestar Galactia. It is dark and dismal.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Danny is already zonked out.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/13/08 10:11 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thursday, June 12, 2008


I potted some of my impatiens. The white seems very bright. I placed them around my patio.
I weeded the back flowerbeds today. It's funny how the weeds have similar leaves as the flowers they hide around. The backyard is very shady except where I seem to sit to do my weeding. I think I'll be moving to a shady spot in a minute but the sun seems to follow me.

I took the tax forms to the Post Office and sent them on their way. I didn't get to Ann's. I scanned a copy of the form into the computer and printed it out from there. It was a form to close the business in PA. There was no fee. New Jersey in not as easy. I have to fill out all kinds of forms and pay a fee for each one.

I read today where the US government wants to charge a fee for salt-water fishing. The state of NJ wants to charge a fee, too. With the price of gas and a fee on fishing, that should put an end to all the Pennsylvania people who go to the shore to go fishing. They already have an extra tax on motel rooms. To stay at a motel in NJ the tax is 13%. They keep trying to think up ways they can add more tax.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/12/08 7:41 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I went to the accountant's this morning and picked up the company tax documents. I have two ready to go out in the mail and two more to sign and prepare to send. I have to make a copy of one of the documents so I'll make a trip to our former office building and visit Ann while I make the copy. It's a document to close out the business in Pennsylvania. It is near the storage bin so I'll go through some more stuff and try to get it cleaned out.

I went the BNI networking group today. I fill in for members who are not able to make it. Ted was a member of the group so I know some of the people.

I walked Danny when I got back and although it is cooler than yesterday, the sun was still hot. I didn't do much the rest of the day. I am using some wood filler to repair the leg of a bench on my side porch. There are some other pieces that need repair. It has water damage from the sprinkler. I have the pieces cut to replace the bad pieces with. I just have to finish rebuilding the leg piece, sand and paint it. I will also paint the pieces for the access hole in the guest bedroom.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/11/08 9:14 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lily Blogging


Yellow Lily.

I had breakfast with my friend Phyllis this morning. I had chocolate chip pancakes. They were good. I enjoyed spending time with Phyllis. She is planning on retiring and traveling in their 5th Wheel motor home. She gave me a tour and it is a super motor home. It has two slide outs that make a large living room and one is for the computer room.

When I got home I walked Danny and finished watering the lawn. It was too hot to do anything but vegetate in the airconditioning. I weeded the west side this evening around 7pm. I lite up the misquito lamp and it did a good job keeping them away. With all the rain we have a good crop of misquitos.

Bennie, my neighbor, the electrician came and replaced my hall light switch tonight. I had hoped that would cure my telephone problem but no such luck. I will have to call the phone company and who knows how much that will cost me. The problem is inside. I may try to run a new line to my main phone and see if I can get that on to work befor I call them.

I have a full day tomorrow so I'll be off to count some z's.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/10/08 10:23 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Monday, June 9, 2008

Lily Blogging


Orange Lily. I have three different styles of lilies. This Orange lily has a leaf similar to the Easter Lily and Asiatic Lily. It is different than the leaf of the Tiger Lily. The Stella Dora Lily has a leaf similar to the Tiger Lily. The third kind has not bloomed yet so I'll have to point their leaf out when it blooms.

At 5 am, it was 78 degrees. Unbelievable! I took Danny out for his long walk at 6 am. It is now 93 at 10:45. I weeded the west side up to the cactus garden. I’ll need my leather gloves for that. The west side has a lot of grass to pull out. It hides between the irises and is hard to pull out without pulling out the irises. I had a couple messages on my cell phone. One of my friends didn’t know my phone was out and she doesn’t have a computer so she was worried. She called my niece to find out about me. I returned her call and we talked for a while. She will be going to the shore this weekend so I’ll take a ride down on Saturday and spend the day with her and her daughter and family. She lost her husband about a year and a half before Ted passed. We grew up together and have known each other almost our entire lives.

I saw that my soaker hose in the front was not working. I thought, “What now?” I got out the sprinkler and found I had the valve shut off. No wonder it didn’t work. I will be watering the yard today. It is so hot I didn’t even care that the sprinkler hit me in the face and in the back. It felt good. My neighbor came home for lunch and we chatted for a while. We were standing in the hot sun and I became drenched with sweat just standing there.

I have some projects I can do indoors so I’ll be working on them today. I have to go to the hardware store to get some wood patch. I also have to go to the Acme and get some food. I’m out of milk and fruit. I have some other things on my list.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/09/08 11:08 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lily Blogging


Sometime in the middle of the night on Friday, I was awakened to a beeping sound coming from the computer room. It was the power backup saying the battery was low. I shut everything off and went back to bed. I looked at the thing and went online with the business computer. I could order a new battery but I don’t know how to install it. I’ll have to take it to my computer man and have them do it. I wasn’t able to blog because I forgot the ID and password to get in.

The information is stored on Ted’s Palm, which went dead, and I am unable to boot it back up. The information is stored on my home computer that had the battery problem. The laptop couldn’t find a strong enough signal to log on. Ted always took care of these things.

I cut the grass early yesterday morning. There is an unwritten etiquette for suburban homeowners to not cut grass until 9 am on Saturday morning. I cut it at 8 am before the heat built up. I was done by 9 and it was warm but not too bad. I was able to weed across the flowerbeds on the south side before I lost my shade and had to quit. This morning it was 76 degrees at 6 am. I took Danny for his long walk at 6. I try some weeding on the west side before I have to get ready for church. It is going up to 97 today. I can see the electric bill going caching!

The battery must have recharged itself, as I was able to get into the computer. I’ll have to post before it runs low again.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/08/08 7:34 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday, June 6, 2008

I trimmed the hedge this morning while it was cool. Then I did some weeding. There is still a lot more to do. I walked Danny and was done in for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I want to get the grass cut early befor the heat arrives. It's to go into the 90's with heat factor 100 for the next few days. I was hoping to go to the movies with the two sisters across the street but their parents came to visit for the weekend. I don't know if the parents are into going to movies or not. I'll have to see.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/06/08 8:30 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday Flowerblogging


I picked out an impatien called Raspberry Swirl this year. Notice the variation in color of the two plants. They are bright and cheery. The line the backyard and part of the east and west sides.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/06/08 8:12 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Posted by tedkarol on 06/06/08 8:11 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lily Blogging


This beautiful Asiatic Lily decided to bloom in the rain and gloom. What a cheery site on a dismal day.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/05/08 2:01 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Iris Blogging


This mini Dutch Iris was taken by Ted. It is hard to get a good shot of them. This concludes the Iris Blogging for this year. The Lilies are coming on strong. I'll be posting them for a while.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/04/08 10:32 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I went on my interview today. It went well but I am one of four that they narrowed it down to. They will be calling the successful candidate back for a second interview. They have a brand new administation building. It will be ready June 16th. It is a lovely building. They people are very nice. I hope they choose me for the job.

I did a little work on the molding I'm putting around the hole in the spare bedroom. The piece I got from Home Depot is a harder wood than the pieces I already had. It took forever to saw through it. It must be oak.

I took some photos of my lilies. I'll put them up tomorrow.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/04/08 10:11 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Iris Blogging


This is my Japanese Iris. The flower is smaller and there is a lot of folage. They spread like wild fire. I had to move one plant. It was choking out my pink lily.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/04/08 10:07 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lily Blogging


Flaming red lily in front of house with southern exposure.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/03/08 12:51 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Iris Blogging


Posted by tedkarol on 06/03/08 12:38 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I weeded the east side this morning. I was making good time until a neighbor was walking by and stopped to chat. She is elderly and very lonely and talks for hours. I completed the east side and now Danny is ready to walk. I cut some moldings for my access hole in the spare bedroom. It goes out over the front porch and the wiring is in there for the porch fans and lights. The computer wiring is also in there. The hole was never finished. I had put a little curtain over it. Now I cut a piece of poster backing and covered it with wallpaper to match the room. The molding will hold it in place.

I walked Danny around the block and now he is lying on the bed curled up. I have a few more irises to put on the blog but it is lily time. I have flame red lilies blooming and the yellow Stella Dora lilies are blooming. The mauve lilies are about to pop open and so are the many others. I’ll start lily blogging.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/03/08 12:36 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Monday, June 2, 2008

Iris Blogging


This is a little yellow iris. It is not as attractive as the others but the irises were given to me by a dear friend and neighbor in Massachusetts. I brought them with me when we moved here. I treasure the gift from my dear friend, Vern Anderson.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/02/08 8:53 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Iris Blogging


My ice blue iris. I just got back from lunch with my church friends. Our church is being renovated so we had our service in the Sunday School Building. Yesterday, we had a good rain storm. I had about 2 inches in the rain guage. I shouldn't had wasted the time and water sprinkling the lawn on Friday. The ground is saturated. I didn't get the grass cut yesterday. I did my errands in the morning and the storm came after I had my lunch. I'll have to cut it today and it is a lot warmer than yesterday. The hedge is already in need of trimming and I cut it on Thursday. I planted flowers in my planters this morning so now I just had to weed for the rest of the summer.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/01/08 1:48 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)