Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

We arrived around noon at the mobile home. IAfter I unloaded the car, I walked Danny and had some lunch. I watered the house plants and then watered the flowers outside. I was able to reach all the flowers with the hose on the jet setting.

I watched TV on my computer and fell asleep. I was groggy when I woke up and it was time to take Danny out. I walked him and made some dinner. I put the bakers rake together and put it in the yellow bedroom. I put a plant on it and will do more with it tomorrow. My niece, Cheryl called. She is on vacation this week so we hope to get together.

I will have to spread the tick killer on the lawn tomorrow. I found a tick on the pillow in yellow room and tonight when I walked Danny out to the mailbox, two ticks were in his fur. I plucked them off but they make me itch all over. I feel like a tick magnet. I found one on my kitchen counter in Vineland. I have no idea how it got there unless it came in on the gladiolas.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/30/10 10:09 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Finally we got some relief from the heat. The humidity is down and it is a beautiful day. It is 63 degrees at 9:15am.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/30/10 9:14 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It was hot this morning but the humidity dropped and it feels cooler even though it’s 80 degrees. I loaded some things in the car and packed up some clothes I’ll be taking back to MD.

Around 7pm, I went out front and pulled the weeds out from along the curb. I had sprayed several weeks ago but I guess the rain washed the herbicide down the storm drain. The weeds had gotten rather unsightly.

I did my bills this morning and looked up some things on the computer. My computer from the business is out. It won’t light up. It doesn’t seem to be getting any power. I’m not able to log onto the accounting program in the other office computer because I forget the password. I need to look up something in Great Plains. I hate having to take it to the shop. I also see that the thing from the cable company is not lit up. I have run out of ports to change the connection to. I’ll deal with it when I get back.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/29/10 10:37 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday, June 28, 2010

It was 83 degrees at 6:30 this morning. I didn’t sleep well. I woke up at 11:58 and thought I had slept all night. I had on the air-conditioner and the ceiling fan and I was still sweating. I kept tossing and turning but Danny slept like a log. I took Danny out for his walk at 7:00. The air was hot and humid. There are supposed to be thunderstorms but they say that every day.

The dehumidifier is working well. I was worried about the floor. It seemed damp and I thought that it was coming up from underneath. I guess it was condensation because it is nice and dry now. I emptied the bucket into the sump-pump bucket and it was high enough to pump the water out the window. The azaleas got a good watering.

We finally got some rain. It clouded up this afternoon and it looked like a hurricane ripped through for about 10 minutes. I don’t have a rain gage here but the grass appears to have greened up. I hope it don’t need cutting.

Danny was following me around the house and when I came upstairs; he ran straight under the bed and hid there for a while.

Coldwell Banker came to re-evaluate my house. She felt what we were doing is correct and we just have to lower the price a little more. Melissa is going to get a statue of St. Joseph and bury it in the back yard.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/28/10 10:10 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday, June 27, 2010

It was a hot one yesterday. I trimmed the hedge early and sweat was dripping down my face. I only did a touch up job on the sprigs that stuck up. There was not much growth in this heat and lack of rain. The grass did not grow at all but I do have weeds growing along the curb out front. All of my round-up stuff is in MD. It will be too hot today to do anything but stay cooped up in an air-conditioned room. I am spoiled by my central air in the mobile home.

There is an excessive heat warning out today from noon until Monday evening. I guess I will work in the basement, as it is cooler down there. I took my dehumidifier down the cellar yesterday and started it up. I was hoping my house would be sold and I would take the dehumidifier to MD. I want to put it in my shed; it smells musty. I didn’t hook up the hose to the sump-pump because the brand new one I had last year leaked all over the basement. It was defective. The company sent me this new one and I just now tried it out. I can’t leave it running when I’m not here because if this one malfunctions, it could leak all over the floor. I don’t have to carry the bucket up and down the steps as I can dump the water in the container that houses the sump pump and when it is full, the pump will activate and pump the water outside.

I took Danny on his long walk this morning. I hope he doesn’t want to go far on his second walk. I will take him out before going to church and then after I return.

I had lunch with Pastor Joan, and Edna our church organist. We went to the Longhorn. I got the salmon salad. It was a nice piece of grilled salmon on a bed of leaf lettuce, with chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. After we ate, I went into the Acme nearby and got a lemon and a lime. I forgot them when I went the other day. From there, I went to the Home Depot to get the Almond Spray paint for my shelves. I made one more stop at BJ’s gas station where the gas was $2.439. Friday, the cheapest I saw was $2.519. It was terribly hot today and is now 92 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be another hot day.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/27/10 6:41 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Friday Flowerblogging


My Easter Lily I transplanted last fall. It really likes it in Maryland. It is on the east side. In Vineland, it was on the south side. Of course, it got plenty of water with all the snow and rain we had from last fall until May of this year.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/10 10:01 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


My pink lilies I transplanted in MD last fall. The lilies are doing well.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/10 10:00 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)



Daisies growing near my newly stained split rail fence in Chesapeake City.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/10 9:59 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Mr. Cardinal


Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/10 9:57 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

My nephew, Rick's pool


Posted by tedkarol on 06/26/10 9:56 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday June 25, 2010

I got home a little after noon. I went through my phone messages and found the Nature Club Picnic was tonight. I had forgotten. I walked Danny, had some lunch and returned the phone calls. I ran over to the Acme to get some food and some of Mr. Ron's coleslaw to take to the picnic. It is late so I will post my flowerblog tomorrow.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/25/10 11:28 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thursday, June 24, 2010

I fixed the garden hose this morning and watered the plants. It was another hot one. The official temp. in Wilmington, DE was 80 degrees at 6 am. It was 72 out my back door. I walked Danny and then got to work painting my shelves. I figured I would need two cans for each shelf. I ran out after my fourth can and I still have to do 5 shelves on the other unit. I did paint all the legs. I should have gone to Home Depot for more paint but I didn't want to get into the hot car. I worked on some things inside the house. I sewed some rings on my puff out curtains. I finished one and hung it in the kitchen to see how it would look. I want to move the rod up higher. I have three more curtains to do.

I plan on heading back to Vineland tomorrow. I will probably have grass to mow and hedge to cut. It may not have grown much in this heat but I don't know how much rain Vineland got. We got two tenths of an inch here. My brother, Don, called and said they had a terrible storm in PA. The electric went out in the middle of his payroll. It was out for a couple hours all over the county and trees were uprooted. I didn't even know it was raining here until I went to take Danny out at 4 pm. He looked out the door and backed away from it. He doesn’t like rain.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/24/10 10:22 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I fell asleep last night watching my online TV. It was almost midnight when I woke up. I turned off the computer but forgot to take out the mobile broadband unit and the wireless mouse transmitter.

Michelle came home yesterday afternoon. She and the children were staying in Sea Isle City, NJ with her parents. The condo was very small and on the 4th floor. The balcony’s railing was spaced wide enough for Ryleigh to put her head through and Michelle feared she would fall through. The children had no room to play and the beach was 4 blocks away. It was a hassle to get to the beach. I don’t know if the place had an elevator or not. She decided to come home and relax by her pool.

She called me around one o’clock while I was preparing my lunch. After I ate, I started packing up my stuff. I kept bringing things over from the mobile home and had them spread out throughout the house. I had the nose of my car sticking into the garage to keep it out of the hot sun. I packed it up except for the food in the frig and freezer. It went up to 95 degrees yesterday with the heat index of 99.

In the morning, I went to the mobile home and started painting my shelves. I brushed the rust with a wire brush and sprayed on some primer I had in the shed. Ted must have bought it a long time ago. It was auto primer. I don’t remember what car it was for. Anyway, I watered the plants while the primer was drying. I had a 10 foot length of hose so I attached it to the 50 foot hose. I figured I need all the hose I could get. I found the attachment for watering the flowers and went to work watering. I could reach about 75% of my flowers but the water started coming out of the hose where it hooked to the attachment. I tried to tighten it and the connection broke off inside the attachment. I finished watering without the attachment and put my thumb over the end to squirt it out further to reach the plants. I had to fill the bucket a couple times to finish the plants I couldn’t reach. The water had sprayed all over me but in this heat it didn’t matter.

I sprayed the almond paint on the shelves. I did have sheets spread out as drop cloths but the stump of an old oak tree worked better. I could lean the shelves against it. I will need to give them another coat and do the underside of the shelves. I also need to do the legs of the shelves. I am debating whether to leave them gray as a contrast. I haven’t decided yet. I will have to get more paint at the home depot. I’ll see how much one shelf takes and then get what I need for the other.

When I got home from Michelle’s, I heard thundering off to the north. It was a gentle rumble and the radio said it was storming north of Philadelphia. I took Danny for his walk before the storm came. When we got back, he stuck to me like glue as I unpacked and put away my things. We had our dinner and were watching the TV on the computer when I noticed Danny was trembling. He was terrified of the thunder. It wasn’t very loud but was constant for a couple hours. I pulled him next to me and covered him up with a pillow with his head sticking out watching the computer screen. He looks at the TV to see who or what is coming into the room. He barks at animals and sometimes people; usually the baddies. It is difficult to watch a western as he barks at the horses and doesn’t stop. After the downpour, he stopped trembling. I talked softly to him and he settled down. He probably wanted to hide under a bed but my mattress set is on the floor and so is the air mattress bed. He hides under a chair in the corner of the yellow bedroom and under the computer desk in the master bedroom. The chair wasn’t at the desk so I guess he felt it wasn’t a secure enough hiding place.

I’ll be taking Danny for his long walk this morning. It will be another day of 95 degrees. I need to get the painting done before it heats up. It was already 70 degrees before 6am.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/23/10 6:35 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

We got a little break from the heat this morning. It’s 67 degrees and the sun is behind the clouds. I don’t think it will last long as soon as the sun comes out from behind the clouds, it will heat up.

Yesterday, I fixed the freeze out thing on the outdoor spigot. I watered the flowers around most of the mobile home but didn’t have enough hose to reach everything. I got a bucket and a large watering can and finished the job. From there, I went to the Home Depot to get some more Redwood stain and some cans of Almond spray paint. I will use that on my metal shelves that I’m going to put in the computer room. They will match the file cabinet.

I went to the Dollar Tree store in the same shopping center as the Home Depot. I got went in for trash bags and came out with 20 dollars worth of stuff. They had ice cream. I got some cookies and crème and vanilla. That was their only choice of flavors. They were pint and a half containers. The cookies and crème was good. Can’t beat that price. I also got some window alarms to put on the mobile home. My nephew has them on his doors. He got them because their two year old daughter, Ryleigh, sneaks out the door. The first time this happened, they didn’t know she was gone. She had been upstairs taking a nap. A neighbor called and said Ryleigh was over at their house. Fortunately, they live on a cul-de-sac and have good neighbors. Ryleigh started making a habit of this so the alarms alert them when she goes out the door. She is a whipper-doo.

The world looks like it has made a financial mess of things. The public sector jobs and pensions are out of control and can’t possibly pay out what the workers were promised. They are getting more money than the public sector and are working less for their pensions. This seemed like a good deal for a long time. My father was a government worker but earned less the public sector. The benefits were better and most government workers could retire after 25 years of service. Now, the baby boomers are retiring and the government will not have the money to pay them.

I watered the flowers here yesterday but the grass is burning up. Rick’s sprinkler is broken so he said not to worry about it. I noticed all the lawns here are brown. No one seems to have underground sprinklers. Maybe they are not allowed to water the grass. Sometimes the state does not allow it as there may be a water shortage. I don’t know. Vineland always has water rationing and grass can only be watered every other day. It is a state law so even though Vineland has plenty of water, they have to obey the state law.

Danny is ready for his walk so I better get him out before it heats up.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/22/10 6:52 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday, June 21, 2010

I am barely able to get a signal here. I’ll have to try out in the Florida room where I had a signal yesterday. I’m in the family room now. My nephew called last night and talked me through the TV set up.

I went to church yesterday. It’s a good thing I planned on going to the 10 am service because on my way down the road, I remembered the Father’s Day service was a combined service with Jacob’s Well (contemporary) and Trinity (traditional). They were having a covered dish breakfast at 9am. I got there about 9:45 so got a cup of coffee and pastry. Marian saw me and said,” Eat up.” I took some fruit and some egg casserole. It was a long service as they honored the “Dads and Grads.” They also had a couple crossed that were decorated by the congregation with flowers. A small one for the children and a large on for the adults. They looked very pretty but it was done at the close of the service and there was not much time to enjoy them.

I stopped by my mobile home to pick up a couple things. After 10am, it’s just too hot to do any outdoor work so I didn’t stick around or return later in the afternoon.

I spent the day in the basement recreation room. It is nice and cool down there. It is a finished basement with a large TV and comfortable seating area. The problem is you have to run up and down the stairs to the kitchen and bathroom. The Florida room makes the first floor warm and the second floor hot. When I talked to Rick, he asked what the thermostat was set at. I said 76 on hold. He said that was too warm and to turn it down. He sets it on 68. I put it on 74. In my mobile home, I set it on 78 for daytime and 80 for night. The mobile home gets a lot of shade but Rick’s house is in direct sun all day with the Florida room getting a southern exposure.

I drove to the corner Deli last evening. It was a BP station with the BP in very small letters so you could hardly see it. At first I thought they had covered it up. The logo and green stripes were evident. I got some ice cream and chocolate mini donuts. I paid with one of the dollar bills that had the end ripped off. I don’t know how I got it but the Deli refused to accept it. I hope I can take it to the bank and exchange it or deposit it with some other money.

Rick has a garden hose that is very fat in diameter. I watered the flowers in the back and felt like I was using a fire hose. It’s at least an inch and a half wide. I had better do the front and get over to my mobile home and water my outdoor flowers. I thought we’d be getting some rain today but not is forecast until Wednesday or Thursday and then it will be scattered showers.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/21/10 6:37 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Saturday, June 19, 2010

I arrived at my nephew's around 11:00. My brother, Rick and his wife, Sylvia were there to watch the children while Michelle went to a class for her teacher training. Michelle arrived shortly after I did and packed up to go to the shore. Rick and Sylvia left after they did. I had some lunch, let Sassy out and then went to my mobile home to unload my car. It was extremely hot. It was in the upper 80's and headed for 94. The humidity was also high. I left my suitcases in the car and went back to Rick's.

I stayed inside the air-conditioning for most of the day. I took a little swim in the pool. I had to fix the fountain. It's supposed to be in the middle and one of the children knocked it to the side. I tried to watch the TV in the living room but couldn't figure out how to get it off the DVD mode. I think one of the remote controls is missing. I tried a couple more TV's in the bedrooms. I got Joey's working and then the screen went fuzzy as if the cable went out. I tried the one in the basement recreation room and got it going. I watched some movies on Turner Classic Movies. They have Verizon Fios and must have the deluxe package. It looks like there are 600 stations. It took a while to find something I wanted to watch.

Sassy was afraid of me. She looked like she missed her family. She stayed on the stairs most of the day and I sat down next to her she ran under the bed. She finally came down to the basement and sat on the sofa with me and Danny.

Their bed is very high so I had to pick up the dogs to put them up there. Sassy slept on one side of me and Danny on the other. I had to be careful not to roll on one. Sassy woke up barking at 2:30 in the morning. I had to get up to let her out. Urg!!

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/20/10 6:51 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday, June 18, 2010

I cut the grass this morning and vacuumed the basement where I had taken out the shelf. At lunchtime, I cooked the plantains. They seem like they were almost black. They were difficult to peel. The skin was thick and tough and the banana (plantain) part of it was mooshie. I fryed them on my griddle. I set off the smoke alarm. The first plantain was cut lengthwise and I think that's how you are supposed to cut them. It was not easy to cut a squishy banana. The next two, I cut on a diagonal. The lengthwise plantains tasted better than the diagonally cut ones. I tried some peanut butter on one. That was nasty. They did not go well together. They also have an after taste that just doesn't quit. I am adventurous when it comes to food but I wouldn't try these again. I didn't finish them and threw out the two that were left.

I packed some things in the car and just have to finish packing in the morning. I will be going to my nephew's house in DE.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/18/10 8:47 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday Flowerblogging


A lone daisey blooming along my fence in Chesapeake City. More have bloomed since I took this photo. I will also take some more daisey from my garden in Vineland.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/18/10 11:31 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Red Lily blooming in Vineland. I took a lot of lilies to Chesapeake City but don't the red ones are not blooming yet. I don't know if they transplanted well or not. I'll have to take some more.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/18/10 11:28 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


George's Little Yellow Italian Flowers. A neighbor, George gave us these flowers when we first moved into Vineland. I brought some to Chesapeake City. George called them little yellow Italian Flowers. My Mother-in-law thinks they are some kind of a Primrose. They are a beautiful yellow color.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/18/10 11:23 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I took apart some shelves today. I packed one in the car and tomorrow, I'll pack the other. Some people came to look at the house so I was interrupted in taking apart my shelves. I'll be able to put my things that are in boxes in MD on the shelves. That will get things up off the floor and get the room ready for when I move my furniture in.

I didn't get much else done. I had to clean the area where the one shelf was in the laundry room. Tomorrow, I'll have to clean the area in the basement where the other shelf was. I'll also have to cut the grass. It's not that high but it will be before I get back.

I watched Batman Begins on the TV tonight. I had seen it before but only remembered parts of it. I should have gotten the movie at the library because the commercials are annoying.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/17/10 10:59 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I dropped my soaker hose off at my niece's house with a timer. Ed can use it in his green house. We got some rain and things are nice and green. Just as I was ready to pack up the car is when it started raining. It didn't last long and it was a gentle rain. I stopped at the hardware store and picked up the part for the faucet. I hope it cures the problem. It was almost noon so I stopped at Burger King in Glasgow, DE. I saw there was a shaded area to park the car in case the sun came out. Danny and I enjoyed some fries and a double buck burger. I gave him some water because even though I liked the salt off his fries, he was thirsty.

When we got home, I unpacked the car and rested until it was time to take Danny out. I looked around the yard at my flowers to see what was blooming and what I wanted to dig up and take with me. There was a big tree branch lying next to my hedge. It must have come down during the storm. I think someone must have picked it up out of the street. It is about 20 feet long. I guess I'm going to have to saw it up for the road department to take it away.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/16/10 10:49 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

We got ready this morning and were out the door by 9am. We drove a half hour to Indian Acres where my three friends who are sisters, live. Alberta lives there full time and Rosie and Dottie live there in the summer. The four of us went to Dover to find where the state had moved the furniture refinishing unit. When we got there, it had been moved back to the prison in Smyrna. The prisoners do furniture refinishing and re-upholstering. Rosie has had a number of pieces done by them. Dottie is having two pieces of furniture refinished. We went to an Amish farmers market and then had lunch at the Smyrna Diner. We drove an hour through farmlands and tiny little towns. One town had the tiniest Town Hall I have ever seen. My friend’s nephew works there but it was closed when we were there.

Danny stayed at Dottie’s Trailer while we went to Dover. I had walked him around the campground before we left and put his quilt over Dottie’s chaise. We stayed there last Labor Day and have visited a few times so Danny was comfortable there. His was happy to see me when we got back. We went for another walk around the camp before leaving to come home.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/15/10 9:28 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday, June 14. 2010

I planted my Gerbera Daiseys and some lilies. I talked to a couple people about my outside faucet. I took the top piece to the hardware store and they were out of stock. Should be in tomorrow. I looked through Big Lots Store. The one that used to be in Vineland was little and dinky. This one is huge like the one in Bridgeton. It carries almost everything including furniture. I went to the Acme after I left Big Lots. I got some groceries for here and for Vineland.

I unpluged the electric blanket and put the wiring away. When I leave, I'll change the bed and take the electric blanket off. I made up the air mattress so that will be ready if I have company. I did have a quilt covering it. I use it for my TV lounge as I don't have a sofa here. I do have a cot that I put in the livingroom for seating. I feel like I'm camping out. I hope my house sells soon.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/14/10 10:24 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I went to Trinity Church today at the 11:15 service. It’s the Methodist Church in Chesapeake City with the Traditional service. It was more casual today as the Children’s choir sang, and the youth took part in the service. A boy about 14 years old gave the sermon. He did an excellent job. He is a natural at public speaking.

I came home and it was 92 degrees. Danny walked out the sidewalk of the mobile home, sniffed around the corner, and turned to go back into the air-conditioning. He must have been sniffing the heat. We had some lunch and I got some ice cream. I looked out the door and it started to rain and the temp dropped to 85. The humidity was higher than before. The sun came out and then after dinner, another shower with a downpour leaving ¾ inches of rain in the gauge.

I didn’t do anything outside except take a look at my flowers and go to the shed a couple times to get something. I watched TV online as I ironed my clothes. I brought some clothes that I had washed in Vineland and I also ironed some things that had gotten smashed in the closet over the winter. I completed Season 1 of Babylon 5. I won’t have to dig so deep in my search to start season 2.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/13/10 9:26 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saturday, June 12, 2010

We got underway about 10:30 and arrived in MD around noon. I listen to the Delaware traffic station and they had two closings. Both were roads I usually take. One was at Interstate 95 and Rte. 13. I’m not sure where that was as the two roads intersect several times. The other was rte 72 near Howell School. I take that road to cross from rte 13 to rte 896. I decided to take Interstate 96 to 896. I wasn’t sure if they had finished the construction there or not. I found that the northbound ramp was closed. Southbound was OK. I’ll have to go home a different way. It’s strange they never mentioned the southbound ramp from 896 to 95 was closed.

It was hot when I got here. I unloaded the car, walked Danny and came in to make some lunch. I had no water. I did turn it on and filled Danny’s bowl. I went across the street to a neighbor and he said there was a problem at the pump house and the water was turned off. It was supposed to be for 45 minutes but Bill said it will probably be more like two hours. I two 3 liter bottles of water and a gallon and a half wine bottle filled with water so I wasn’t too concerned. I had been looking forward to getting a shower though. I sweated in the heat when I was unpacking.

I had bought a 96 inch shower hose at the hardware store in Vineland so I installed it in the walk-in shower. I wanted a hose long enough to reach Danny so I could hose him down when I gave him his bath or in this case, his shower. The water came on soon after I installed the hose.

I went through the mail and circulars and stayed in the air-conditioning. I brought a garden hose so I could water my plants but the outdoor spigot is leaking like a sieve especially when I attach the hose. It was too late to go to the hardware store in Elkton. I’ll have to go on Monday or Tuesday. I hope it’s a matter of changing the washers and won’t involve having to get a plumber.

I watched some more of Babylon 5 tonight. When I took Danny out at 8pm, he wanted nothing to do with going out in the heat. He went in the yard and ran back up the steps to the house. I can’t blame him. I don’t like being out in the heat either.

My friend Dottie called. She and her sister, Rose are going to Dover on Monday or Tuesday. I said I’d like to go but I’m not sure how long we will be away or what I should do with Danny. I’ll have to discuss it with her tomorrow.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/12/10 10:31 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Flowerblogging



Posted by tedkarol on 06/11/10 11:40 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Daiseys in Vineland

Posted by tedkarol on 06/11/10 11:39 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Prickly Pear Cactus. This plant blooms beautifuly in South Jerseys sandy soil.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/11/10 11:36 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday, June 10, 2010


Red Sky in Morning is what we had yesterday and the rain finally came. I don't think we got very much. I hope they got more in Maryland. I took the photo out the bathroom window right through the screen.

This morning, I trimmed the hedge and was done in for the rest of the day. I had a list of things to do but only got the hedge done and I did pack up a few things. I should go down and start the dishwasher. I could do it in the morning but I have to drive over to the gas station and get some gas for the mower. I want to get an early start on that. It's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/10/10 9:24 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I wanted to get either the grass cut or the hedge trimmed this morning but I had an appointment with the Chiropractor at 10:00. By the time I got home the rain had begun. It finally rained but I don't know if we got very much. I did several loads of wash and had to straighten up the house because someone was coming to see it. I had met Melissa at the Chiropractor's and she said there was an appointment at 4:00. A young couple came with the lady's mother and the other real estate lady. I took Danny out on the back porch until they went upstairs. They all spoke in Spanish so I couldn't understand what they were saying. When they came down, I took Danny back onto the porch. It was cold and rainy so we didn't go for a walk.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/09/10 10:14 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I watered all the plants inside and out before getting ready for our trip back to Vineland. I tried a different route. I took 71 to 13 instead of 72. That worked out OK. It was more direct. Then I went straight in Woodstown and bore left when it feels certain that one should bear right. I was on the correct road that I wanted but a truck pulling a trailer was going 35 in a 50 mile zone. The traffic was backed up. I kept hoping he would turn off but I turned off instead. I went on route 611 and became the back road through Elmer.

When I got home, I was going to walk Danny but I saw the pit bull across the street was out. He was on a leash but it was growling and barking at me. I waited until it went in.

I took some pictures of my prickly pear cactus. It is in full bloom. I guess I'll take some of that to MD. There are a few lilies. I don't know if I'll take them or not. There are a lot of gladiolas left. I gave a lot away and I took a lot to MD and there are still a lot more. I have a lot pf empty spaces in my flower beds down there so I'll take as much as I can.

I wasn't sure whether I would come back to Vineland today or tomorrow. Then I heard on the radio that it was election day in NJ so I thought I'd better to and vote. Most of the candidates were running unopposed except for the incumbent, LoBiono. Three Republicans were running and no Democrat was in the first slot. There were some in slot two and three. Maybe it was because the first slot is for the incumbent and that was the Republican. There were no voters there except for me. It was about 3:00. I don't know if there was a light turnout or if it was the time of day that I went.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/08/10 9:14 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday, June 7. 2010

This morning, when walking Danny, I went by my neighbors Rex and Kay and saw a Bluebird sitting on their flagpole. Rex was coming out to put up his flags, the American Flag and the US Navy Flag.

I went to Middletown to do some grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. When I got back, I walked Danny and got some lunch. I had another peanut butter and banana sandwich and had some pudding w/bananas. I had a lot of bananas and they were getting ripe fast.

I read some of my book and fell asleep reading. I didn’t get anything else done today.

I walked Danny before dinner and stop at Rex and Kay’s again. Their dog, Barley was out and he whines to see Danny. I took him up so they could sniff noses. Rex and Kay have some plants in front of their deck and asked if I knew what they were. I said they looked like my trillium and asked if they had three petals. They did. They had closed around noon which is what mine do. Mine grew in deep shade and theirs were in direct southern sun and they were much taller than mine. Rex said to stop back in the morning to see them in bloom. When I got back, I looked them up on the computer. Trilliums have broader leaves then what I thought were trilliums. I ordered them from Michigan Bulb Company and have been disappointed with the quality of their plants and their policy of making substitutions. I would order plants for the shade and if they were out of stock, they would send me plants for full sun. My home in Vineland has much shade and I didn’t need any plants for the sun.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/07/10 9:24 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday, June 6, 2010

I thought I’d get out and weed the east side before the sun got over the trees but it was too late. I weeded some but at 8 am, it was already too hot. I came in and got ready for the 10 o’clock church service at the high school. It is their contemporary service. While I prefer a traditional service, the 10 is timely and stays on schedule. The pastor has to be at the Trinity Church by 11:15. The Methodist Charge has three congregations here. The first service is at 8 am at Town Point Methodist Church. The second service is called Jacob’s Well at 10 am and the third service is at Trinity UMC in Chesapeake City. Some activities are combined such as covered dish dinners.

I thought my nephew would be coming over so I went to the 10:00 service. It turned out he wasn’t able to make it. I sat in the service next to my new friend, Joan. Her son grows flowers in their green houses. I got my petunia’s there. She said the lack of rain is very hard on the flowers. I didn’t have the heart to tell her the lovely petunias I got from her had burned up from lack of water and too much heat. They only get a little morning sun but it burned them out and I don’t know if they will recover. I put the planter back in the shade next to the woods.

Danny takes his walks in the back yard in this heat. He loves to go for walks but I guess the heat is too much for him. Since he had his Lyme disease vaccination, his appetite has been poor and he doesn’t go far on our walks. This evening, we walked down the street and he went running and barking under a car. A big cat sprang out at his hissing and batting her claws at him. Luckily, she missed. Danny backed away from her.

I did manage to get some weeding done late in the afternoon. It clouded up and cooled down a little. I still have a little more weeding to do along the driveway and fence. I watered all my flowers this morning. I didn’t know whether it would rain or not. They have been calling for rain and violent thunderstorms for the last four days. This evening, I had two drops of water in the rain gauge. It’s a good thing I watered this morning.

I watched Babylon 5 online. I started with season 1, episode 1 and watched them in sequence. I am up to episode 12. Fancast only have season 4 and 5. I found all the episodes on Hulu. I had to search around to find them. I had to put Babylon 5 in the search box and then sort by air date. Then, I had to go to page 5 and click on anything that had season 1, click on show all, and finally scroll down to the beginning. By the way, The Vorlon is a character in Babylon 5. Ted and I enjoyed watching the show. The Vorlons talk in a whisper. That is where Ted got the idea to name his blog. He wanted something different than Ted’s Blog.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/06/10 10:16 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saturday, June 5, 2010

I weeded on the east side until the sun came over the trees. It was another hot one today and no rain again even though it was forecast. I don't know where the rain goes. The map shows a large green patch moving east and it looks like it can't possibly miss but it does. When I walked Danny this morning, he mostly walked around the yard and then we walked along the highway to Mallard Drive and came back. My leg itched and I found a tick just starting to bite me. I picked him off and gave him a burial at sea. I checked Danny but didn't find any on him. I don't know where the tick got on me. The grass is short and I walked along the road. I itched all over for the rest of the day.

The valve to my outside water spigot leaks. There is a large cap on the top and that's where it is leaking from. I tried to tighten it but when I turn on the water, it loosens right up again. I took it off to see if it needed a washer. It had a funny thing in the middle with a washer in it. It was cracked so I lifted it out and turned it around. There was another washed inside the cap. I didn't see how I could get it out and I didn't have a replacement for it. I should have taken it to the hardware store but I wasn't sure if it were still open. The one in Vineland closes at one on Saturday. I may have a washer to replace the cracked on. I'll look at it again in the morning. My nephew is coming and may be bringing his power washer. I'm not sure if that's what he said. He is going to get the branches off my roof and fix the siding on the shed. I'll see what else I he can do while he is here. He leaves for his new job training next week.

News from the Vorlon Wife

Posted by tedkarol on 06/05/10 9:56 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Flower Blogging


My babbling brook is down to a trickle. You can see the dark brown where the water was since last August. The narrow rusty water is where it is flowing now. It called for rain from Thursday through Sunday and we haven't gotten any yet. It is 92 degrees and very humid. I weeded this morning. I thought I'd weed the east side before the sun got over the trees. I went from the back to the steps and the sun popped around. I head back to the south side which is shaded until about 11:30. I weed around the back and then did the west side until about 11:30 and I was losing my shade. I got a shower to cool off and then Ida, My neighbor came to the door with some produce. She asked if I wanted any plantains. I've had some of my Puerto Rican friends that have made them but I have never cooked them myself. Ida belongs to a co-op and they deliver fresh produce to her door every Friday. She gave me two containers of cherry tomatoes, a bunch of bananas, a package of hot dog rolls, a package of hamburger rolls and a loaf of sliced Italian bread along with the plantains. I looked them up on the internet and the easiest recipe is to wait until they are almost black, slice, and fry them in oil. Eat while hot. They cannot be reheated. According to the recipe they are sweet like sweet potatoes.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/04/10 2:28 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)


Here they are. My beautiful Asiatic Lillies were waiting for me when I arrived yesterday. My brother had given them to me for Easter a long time ago. It seems they like it here.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/04/10 2:25 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Danny had a good check up and got his lyme disease shot at the Vets. The Vet said he was in excellent health. When we got back, I packed up the suitcases with winter clothes and winter sheets. I also packed up some things that are for summer. I loaded the car with as much as I could cram in. I had the little TV and the DVD to take back to MD.

While I was getting packed up, someone came to look at the house. Melissa felt she was interested so let's keep our fingers crossed.

When I got here, my beautiful Asiatic lily was blooming. It has flowers all over it. A few of the other flowers are blooming, too. I have a daisey and a few of the little Italian Flowers. My petunias in the planter were dried out and they do not look too good. I hope they revive. I was hoping they got some rain here that we didn't get in NJ. I guess not. There was supposed to be big storms coming today but I think the clouds spit on my steps and landing and that was it. The humidity was horrid today and I'm glad to be in the mobile home with central air. I had to put it up to 80 because it got too cold in here. It feels comfortable now.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/03/10 10:20 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wednedsay, June 2, 2010

I cleaned up more of my email today. I was hoping the cold front that didn't bring any rain would cool things off. No such luck. It was 89 today and humid. I trimmed the little hedge by the garage in the morning but didn't do the big hedge. It was just too hot. After lunch, I gave Danny a bath.

Tonight, I watched a movie ON Demand. They have some fee movies but they have commercials. It was good but it was part 3. I don't know if part 1 and 2 are available. It was a series about The West and the Wheelers.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/02/10 10:49 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Ocean City, NJ


The crowded beach at Ocean City. We had to park six blocks away from the boardwalk, back by the Bay. The parking lots were full and we drove up and down the streets from 17th street to third street. I never saw it so crowded even in July.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/02/10 9:50 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

052810boardwalk.jpg The Boardwalk at Ocean City, May 29, 2010. This was taken from the porch of the Beach Club where we had an Early Bird Dinner. We ate out on the porch overlooking the beach and boardwalk.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/02/10 9:48 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Dottie's church Luau Luncheon. From left, Dottie, twin sister, Rosie and Dottie's friends.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/02/10 9:46 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I didn't do much today. I deleted some more emails from my computer. The air was hot, humid, and stinky. The Weather Channel reported the air to be unhealthy. It made me feel sick. It made my friend, June, feel sick, too. It was supposed to start raining at noon; it didn't. The next report said it would start raining at 6pm; it didn't. Now its 11pm and no rain. It was 88 degrees today and is now 74. I hope it cools down and blows the stinky air out of here.

I talked to my cousin, Joy, today. She is well but her niece, Dissy, is not doing so well. Dissy is my 2nd cousin and was always strong and active. After her sister died, Dissy's health went downhill. Then, her husband died and things got worse. She had both hips replaced and didn't recover very well from that. She needs canes and a wheelchair to get around.She is now in a nursing home. I don't know if it is temporary or permanent. Her youngest son has taken responsibility for her. Her other children live far away. I hope she is able to recover and get out of the nursing home.

I went to the Women's Service Meeting tonight. I picked up my friend, June and took her. It is always a good meeting of fellowship.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 06/01/10 11:06 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)