Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday Flowerblogging


Side yard with impatiens in bloom also impatiens on porch.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/31/07 5:03 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday, August 30, 2007

I got a lot of boxes from the hospital today. I grabbed some out of the mailroom and then one of the maintenance men brought a whole bunch into the office. I had to break them down to fit them in the car.

They don’t have another position available for me at the hospital so tomorrow is my last day. I hope I can train the new lady because today, we had a lot of other things that we had to work on and we didn’t get to the things I wanted to show her before I leave.

Danny has been walked, his ears have been swabbed, and he is in bed. I hope he is in for the night and doesn’t get up to go out just as I climb under the covers.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/30/07 9:00 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wednesday, August 29. 2007

The new lady started today. She is very nice and very knowledgeable. I helped her with a few things until Linda came in and then I went over some things with Linda. She had been out three days moving. She brought a lot of boxes for me. At 11:00, we started getting ready for the Carnival. It was an employee event. We had hot dogs, popcorn, snow cones and many of the employees brought desserts. There were games with prizes. There was bowling with big plastic bottles with a soccor ball, a ring toss, a bean bag toss and there were two baskets of items and you had to guess what store or restaurant they came from to win a prize. It was fun but it was very hot out there. It was noon time so the sun was overhead and we lost what little shade we had.

I got a phone call from a good friend tonight. It was good to hear from her.Danny has gone up to bed so I'll be joining him as soon as the dishwasher is done.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/29/07 9:01 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Copy of janeandsam.jpg

Jane and Sam Waldin

Posted by tedkarol on 08/28/07 8:31 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The day started out bad. I got an email from my cousin, Sarah that another cousin, Jane Waldin, had passed away. Jane was the last of Aunt Ruby's children. She was very close to my father. She wrote to him and my parents would visit her when they went to Florida. She was closer to his age than mine. Aunt Ruby was his oldest sister and my Dad was the youngest of 8. Many of my first cousins were near his age.

My day at work went Ok but when I have nothing to do, I think about Ted and feel sad. I took home some more boxes from the hospital and still have some more in my office. I guess tomorrow, it won't be my office any more because the new girl starts. I took my stuff home.

Danny has been walked and I have to swab his ears then I will do some reading and it’s off to bed for me.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/28/07 8:07 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday, August 27, 2007

It was kind of a slow day today. It is my supervisor, Linda’s moving day so she wasn’t in and she won’t be in tomorrow. Kim will be coming over from the Regional Hospital to take care of some things. I had to call her today as someone wanted to see an employee file and I wasn’t sure if she was authorized to see it. Anyway, Kim is coming over to handle that situation. I worked with Kim at the Regional Hospital a couple years ago, just before Ted got sick. I have worked with many of the Human Resource people there so if I don’t know what to do, I know who to call.

I am getting a lot of boxes for packing from the hospital. What a good source to get them from. Linda will be bringing some of her boxes as she unpacks. I have a stack of folded boxes I got from the mail room today. The janitor and other people bring them in, too.

I went to the Library to return my book and get another. I put in a CD of Elvis’s Blue Hawaii thinking it would be a good one to listen too but it reminded me of Ted. A while back, he showed me how to plan a vacation online. It was when it was first starting to go online. He chose Hawaii. Someday we were going to go there. So, I came home bummed out. It doesn’t take much. Everything reminds me of him.

Danny has been walked, his ears have been swabbed, and he has gone to bed. I’ll be joining him as he gets up early to go out.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/27/07 8:28 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday, August 26, 2007

I wasn’t able to log on last night. The blog server was down or something. I felt rather disappointed in the house I went to see. It was a lovely house and it could fit my needs, however, I have a very keen sense of smell. When I walked in the door, I smelled urine covered up with either candles or a plug in. The Candle or plug in gave me a headache. The lady had a little dog in a cage. I don’t know whether the smell came from the dog’s cage or if it was in the living room rug and down into the hard wood. My sister-in-law felt the same way. It was a big turn off in spite of the house being a nice house.

It was about 2 blocks from Rick and Sylvia’s so we walked. John the Builder, no relation to Bob the Builder, was working on a house two more blocks away. It was getting on to noon and getting hot. We tried to keep to the shade but we turned left instead of right and went a couple blocks out of our way. We went down and talked to John about building on my family land.

We looked at the house John was building and he showed me the plans for that house. It was a two story and no room for a downstairs bedroom. After what happened to Ted, a downstairs bedroom is a good idea even if it is used for a den. It was selling for$269.00. No garage, no deck, or patio. The lot was 40 feet wide and not much room between neighbors. My family land is 75 feet by 120 feet and adjoins my brother Don’s property. Actually, the land is his property but if he sells, the proceeds are divided between the three of us. I would have to buy out my two brothers for the land. I think the house I would like to have built would cost too much money. I would like a sun porch for my plants. I have this in my current house. The other house had nowhere to put my plants unless I put them in the living room or one of the bedrooms with plant lights.

It’s all overwhelming. I need to find a job over in that area to determine house much house I can afford. I have no contacts for jobs over there. My contacts are here.

I will post some of my in process and finished renovations. Now that my house is shaping up, I hate to part with it. Especially since it is nice than the houses I have looked at. One that is equal would cost twice as much as I can sell this one.

Danny is growling. He has to be the center of my attention and he doesn’t understand what I am doing sitting here rattling the keyboard. I picked him up and he wants to do some typing himself. Actually, he is pushing my hand with his nose. I guess he wants me to pet him.
It’s time to take him OUT. I have to spell it anymore. He knows what that is. Also, WALK and let’s go.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/26/07 5:53 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)


Stairwell in process

Posted by tedkarol on 08/26/07 5:10 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Stairwell finished

Posted by tedkarol on 08/26/07 5:08 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)


Kitchen painted with plaster patched.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/26/07 5:06 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday, August 25, 2007

I didn’t have time to blog last night. I cut the hedge when I got home. The temp. was in the 80’s and sweat just poured down my face. It’s going to be hotter today. I will be going to look at a house in PA. I feel that Ted would think I was moving backwards instead of forward. I just feel like I’m in limbo. I need to be near my family but yet; I have no job over there. I have contacts for jobs here and have been offered a couple jobs but I have no one here and I can’t stand being by myself.

I see so much that has to be done to get ready to move and I think of how I’ll have to keep the place clutter free. No hanging my clothes over the rowing machine. I put my jeans and t-shirt there so they are handy I when I take Danny out in the middle of the night or the early morning. I took my winter clothes to my brothers but may need my blazers soon. Last week, I could have used my brown wool blazer; it is lightweight wool and can be worn in summer as well as winter. I hope I remember to pick it up when I’m over there.

I looked in the supply closet at work yesterday and saw a hammer. I thought, “Speaking of hammers” and called my friend, Faith Hammer. She wasn’t home so I left a message. She left a message on my machine and called me later in the evening when I was getting ready to call her. It was good to talk to her. She and Jack went to the Nazarene Church when we went there. The four of us or sometimes there wee six of us would go out to dinner or get together for a game of Mexican Train. (Dominoes).

There are not many people who live locally who I can call from the hospital. I don’t like to make long distance calls from there. They have given me access codes to a lot of things telephones, computers and so forth) and I don’t want to take advantage of it.

I’ll keep firing out my resume and hopefully something will come up. I can transfer to the Philadelphia Manpower office but I don’t want to work in Phila. Been there, done that. The traffic and the city wage tax are horrendous.

I hope this week will be the end of the 7am shift. I don’t know whether they will have another position for me or not. I’ll have to look at the job listing on Monday and see if I can fill in anywhere. They had an opening in A/P.

Well, I better send out some more resumes.

News from the Vorlon wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/25/07 6:59 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Flowerblogging


Yellow Lillies taken last month

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/24/07 8:28 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Its 8:15 and I am getting ready to go to bed. I can’t believe I’ve been going to bed so early. It’s really hard getting up at 4:30. I wake up at 4:00 and then I’m afraid to go back to sleep for fear of over sleeping and being late for work. I don’t usually set the alarm as I have always awakened before it went off. I set it the other night for 4:45 just in case I fall back asleep or so I can fall back asleep and not have to worry about oversleeping.

I like my job at the hospital. Sometimes I don’t have much to do but I have to be there to help people when they come in the office. Some people want a leave of absence. Some come in to pick up their prize from a raffle they had. Next week, they are having some kind of Carnival Theme for the employees. Two years ago, when I worked there, they had an alien theme. I got a caricature done of me looking like an alien. I still have it. It is really cool. I also won an inflatable green alien for getting a hole in one in their golf game. They had all kinds of games and things and the HR people were dressed in Star Trek uniforms. I hope I don’t have to dress as a clown.

Next week will be my last week in Elmer Hospital. They new girl starts Monday but she will be in orientation. On Wednesday, I will train her to do the job. At least get her started.

It is hard to get anything done around the house. When I get home, I have to walk Danny, as he will not do his business in his kennel. He must consider that his living area. I haven’t been walking him in the morning except to the fire hydrant. When get to the kennel, he was giving me a hard time about going in. I realized yesterday that he wanted to do his business in the grass outside of the kennel. I guess he didn’t want to hold it all day and he didn’t want to do it in his kennel. I finally figured out what he was trying to tell me.

I need to cut the hedge but I didn’t. Tomorrow, I need to cut the grass. I’ll have to see how tall it is. Saturday, I go to look at the house in PA. The appointment is for 11:00 so I won’t have time to cut the grass on Sat. I may do the hedge tomorrow and the grass on Sun. I need to start digging up the bulbs and get more done. There is so much to do it’s overwhelming. I did put the border over the wallpaper around the stove. I don’t think I have enough border to go around the ceiling. It would hide where I got the white paint when I painted the ceiling. I’ll have to see how things go.

I also have to do a job search. It takes time to fill out the applications and get the information for there questions. I hate the thought of going through the interview process.

Right now, I have to get some sleep.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/23/07 8:15 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It is past my bedtime. I was sending some resumes out over the internet and it takes time. I'm really feeling beat. I will be glad when this geting up at 4:30 is over with.

Danny is already out for the night. I'll have to wake him to do his ears.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/22/07 8:31 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Danny didn’t want to go into the kennel today. It was cool and damp and he looked at me as if to say, “You got me out of my nice warm bed to this?” He does stay warm and dry in his dogloo. I turned the opening away from the outside fence so the rain wouldn’t get in. Erica has a nice thick blanket folded in there and I bring a mattress pad and his blankey. I forgot his toy today.

I am getting worn out from getting up so early. Next week should be my last week at 7am. So far, I haven’t heard whether they will need me at one of their other locations. I know they need someone at the Employment Center but it’s for interviewing and staffing. I don’t have the experience for that.

We’ll see how things go. So far, I haven’t been called for any interviews. I just get notices that they have received my resume.

It will soon be time to walk Danny but right now, he is stretched out on the bed. I like to walk him before dark but it gets dark earlier and earlier each day especially when it is cloudy.

I’ll be doing some work for Ted’s client for there month end reports. I’ll be going there on Sept. 4th.

I need to get the trash taken out and then walk Danny.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/21/07 6:48 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday, August 20, 2007

About 2pm, I start to wind down. They hired someone to fill the job that I am doing. She starts next Monday. I will train her and then I will be finished at Elmer Hospital. I am sorry to be leaving but I have to find a job in PA. The South Jersey Healthcare System has 3 other facilities that may have another temp spot for me so we shall see. I think they start at 8am rather than 7am. I am really tired of having to be at work by 7. It’s hard enough to get there at 8.

There is a new dog across the street. He barks a lot and causes Danny to bark back. Danny thinks he has to go outside and bark at him. He is tied up in his yard until they take him in at night. Danny doesn’t know how lucky he has it. He gets to walk all over the neighborhood while other dogs are either tied up or trapped in their yards.

Tomorrow, I go to look at a house over near my brother. I’ll will leave work early to beat the traffic on I 95. My brother also has a friend who is a builder and he will have some plans for me to look at. I will look at my options and see what would be best.

I hope Danny is in for the night and doesn’t want to go out again until morning.

I’ll do some reading and then turn in.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/20/07 7:32 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday, August 19, 2007

I wrote my entire blog on the laptop, uploaded it, and lost my connection and everything I wrote.

I must have over did myself yesterday, as I feel wiped out today. Maybe it’s the dark gloomy day because Danny seems tired out, too. He makes his trips outside short ones. He doesn’t like rain.

I called a high school friend to see if she was going to our class reunion and found she has a rare disease and is unable to walk. She also has no feeling in her arms. I felt bad for her. We had lost contact after Ted and I went to Massachusetts. Somehow, you picture someone as they were when you last saw them. As if time had stood still.

I did a couple things today. I sent some of Ted Toastmaster files to one of the Toastmaster who has taken over the job Ted had. Ted’s files have been a help to us in getting the Toastmaster Web Page up to date.

I also mad an appointment to see a house in PA. It belongs to my brother’s boss’s mother and is close to both my brothers. I looked at it on the internet and it seems like a good fit for me. I am also going to look at some plans to build on my brother extra lot.

Danny has had his evening walk and I hope he is in for the night. I will do some reading and it’s off to bed for me.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/19/07 7:40 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Well, it’s Saturday evening and it the time when Ted and I would be eating dinner in one of our favorite places in Ocean City. Sometimes, I just can’t comprehend how all this has happened.

Danny doesn’t know it is Saturday. He was ready to go out at 5am. I took him to the fireplug, then came back in, and went to bed. When the sun came up, I got up and had my coffee. I did some work for DDH, some Nature Club work, and then I sewed my curtains and hung them up. I started to finish some other sewing but Danny wanted attention and he wanted to go for his walk.

When we got back, I unloaded the dishwasher, had some breakfast and went out to cut the grass. It must have been contagious as my neighbors on both sides came out to cut their lawns. I rested awhile, had some lunch and then went to work taping and clearing the way for me to paint the kitchen. I got that job done and used the extra paint in the tray to touch up the molding in the laundry room. The paint is dry but I’ll wait until tomorrow to put the border on. The flat white does a nice job hiding the patches of plaster. It really makes the dark wood cabinets stand out. I don’t have a before photo so I’ll have to take one of the after.

I cleaned the fish tank last night, as it was too hot to cut the grass then. I added more water and waited overnight for the filter to clean out the stuff floating around in the water. I changed the filter this morning. It looks nice and clean. “Sticky”, our placo, was moving around quite a bit. I usually have to give him a little poke to make sure he’s still alive. Most placos grow very fast and I have to take them back to the store to exchange for a smaller one. This one doesn’t move very much. I don’t know if he eats much so he hasn’t grown very fast. I think I’ve had him over a year. He is a lot bigger than when we got him but he’s not ready to be traded in yet.

I have to do one more job then I’ll call it a day. There is plaster dust all over everything and I need to wipe down the stairs. I haven’t had time to do that yet. I better get moving.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/18/07 5:03 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday Flowerblogging


Pink Lily

Posted by tedkarol on 08/17/07 5:41 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Here it is, the before and the after. What a big difference.

I'll have some more photos on the projects soon.

This waking up at 4:00 is for the birds, litterally. It is taking it's toll on me. I ha a big list of things to do but I'mm going to get some dinner, walk Danny and get to bed.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/16/07 5:18 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (3)


Ceiling after tiles are on.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/16/07 5:17 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)


Hole in laundry room ceiling

Posted by tedkarol on 08/16/07 5:16 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tuesday, August 15, 2007

Once again I am writing from work and not using the spell checker. Forgive me if some mistakes come through.

I stopped in a little coffee shop in Elmer this morning to get my caffine fuel. It is a cute little shop run by two senior ladies. They have all kinds of gormet stuff but I prefer the regular. In this case the regular is the Nantucket Blend of Green Mountain Coffee. I didn't know they grew coffee in the Green Mountains of Vermont. I suppose it is where they roast the beans and distribute them. I'll have to check them out with you.

The laundry room was finished yesterday when I got home and so was the drywall patch in the stairwell ceiling, the wrapping of the cellar door molding, and the roof patch where to capula was. It looks like it needs a little touching up but Joe took his ladders. It could be he has another job today and will finish up later.

I wasn't able to get a signal on my lap top last night and I didn't have time to go on the desktop computer. Even though I get home early, I seem to run out of time. I baked some chicken and was going to bake the turkey parts but it smelled bad. I was going to return it but didn't want to take the time. It was only 4 bucks so I just trashed it and was rather irate as it was still within the date.

I had to do some work for Eastern Business on the computer and that didn't go well either. You have to file a report but I had no sales tax and no income tax to report and it wouldn't accept zero as an amount. I was able to file the income tax via snail mail but I don't hav a form for the sales tax and their web site sends you to the online form. Well, I guess the interest payment on zero is zero.

It is getting harder to get up at 4:45 as it is pitch black out there. I wake up by the light of the sun coming up. I cannot find Ted's program to adjust the timer for the hall light to come on. It will adjust itself when we go back to standard time.

I have photos of the laundry room before and after. I will be posting them soon.
I have a Toastmaster's meeting tonight so it may not be posted until the weekend.

News from theVorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/15/07 7:29 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tuesady, August 14, 2007

I had to run an in-depth scan last night so I wasn't able to blog. I'm blogging from work.
The ceiling in the laundry room was finished when I arrived home last night. It needs the molding painted but other than that, it looks great. The drywall patch is coming along. The spackling was done. I don't know if it needs more spackling or just needs to be painted. Then, will the whole ceiling need to be painted? The place where the capula was on the garage needs to be patched and the wrappig around the molding to the cellar entrance. I still need to paint the kitchen wall but am too tire when I get home. I have to do some Eastern Business work tonight. I have to send a report to the state that we had zreo sales tax and zero payroll tax. I have to do this each month until I dissolve the company. Hopefully we can get that done by the end of the year.

I did the grocery shopping last night after work and then picked up Danny. Tonight, I may go to the second hand store and pick up a chandlier to swap out my Tiffany that Ted gave me our first Christmas. We have taken it with us each place we moved to. Things are shaping up. I have to get busy with my job search. They will help me with my decision as to where to move to.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/14/07 12:44 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday, August 12, 2007

I woke up early and blogged for half an hour. Some how, I lost everything I had written. I can’t seem to remember what I wrote.

My brothers were here yesterday and fixed the wiring in the basement. My sister-in-law helped me wash the curtains and hang them out on the line.

I had good intentions of painting the kitchen today but something reminded me of Ted and I was bummed out for the rest of the day. I did manage to write the membership dues letter for the Nature Club and print out the labels for them. I also sent some membership renewal files to Boardwalk Toastmaster. Ted used to take care of that but I don’t know who will be doing it now.

I went to lunch with my friends from church. I guess after I leave them, I am all alone.

I got my clothes and Danny’s things ready for morning. I want to watch part of Mystery and then turn in.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/12/07 8:53 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Shore Blogging


One of the Sandcastles in Avalon. These are multimillion dollar homes on the beach in Avalon.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/12/07 5:33 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Saturday, August 11, 2007

I didn’t blog last night; I was too tired. I had all good intentions of finishing the hedge when I got home but it was hot and humid. I thought I’d wait until after dinner. I had a good day but I finally put some CD’s in my car for when the radio reception was bad. I put in the CD I bought on Skyline Drive. One of our last trips together. It reminded me too much of Ted and I cried all the way until I picked up Danny. I even forgot to pay Erica for the week. That put in a depressed mood.

On a brighter note, I came home to the ceiling in the laundry about ¾ finished. It looks great. However, Joe stored his ladders and equipment in the corner and I have to move it all to get to my toolbox. Rick and Don are coming to put the electrical boxes back into place.

About my “Small Family”, my grandmother’s maiden name was Small. The photo of the Cavalryman was her father. There were six of them that I knew; there were three more that had passed away before I was born. The two brothers are not in the photo. They were probably playing quoits. I can almost hear the clanging of the quoits. It was a traditional game they played at our “Small Family” gatherings. My niece sent some photos of Aunt Fannie’s farm that I will post for you. We had a close-knit extended family as we got together every Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day for a family picnic. That’s what we called it. Today it would be called a family reunion. We had three a year. After Aunt Fannie passed away, my mother’s cousin, Frank Small hosted the reunions at his Lake, which was nearby. His sister and family came in from Chicago and we all got together. They came every other year. Frank’s daughter hosted the reunions for a while until she became disabled with Scleroderma. They had one last year on the Outer Banks of NC but Ted wasn’t up to going.

I had another inch + of rain in the rain gauge yesterday. I’m not sure how much we got as my gauge leaks. I’d better get to work; I have a lot to do today.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/11/07 6:07 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday Flowerblogging & Genealogy Blogging


My "Small Family" My Grandmother and her sisters on the steps of Aunt Fannies Farm House
Back row l to r: Fannie Crossan,and Hester Dripps
Front row l to r My Grandmother, Rose McConnell and Beulah Dugan

Posted by tedkarol on 08/10/07 5:29 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)


Hibiscus with bee near the center. Ted like capturing a photo with a little friend joining in.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/10/07 5:07 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thursday, August 9, 2007

I came home today to find the hole in the stairwell has been covered with drywall and the furring strips are almost all finished in the laundry room. Tomorrow, the tile should be on the ceiling and the drywall needs a little patch between it and the plaster. We should have had this done years ago.

I also had the landscaping service that we sometimes use do the edging around the sidewalks, driveways and along the curb and street. Weeds were growing in the crack between the street and the curb. They cleaned everything up real nice although, they blew the leaves out of my flowerbeds and I didn’t ask them to do that as it damages my flowers. They also cut the grass and I didn’t ask for that either but it looked like it needed it. Especially since Alex cut his yesterday. I did it on Saturday and it hasn’t quite been a week. The front grows tall and thick.

Sat., my brothers will come and do the electrical work and things should be in great shape. I still have to paint the kitchen wall and I may sponge paint the computer room. My friend, Anne told me how to do it. It will give it a texture that will hide the cracks in the wall and give the old dull paint an upgrade without too much work or expense. I don’t know what to do about the bar-b-que grill. The gas leaks so it’s been turned off. I have to dig up the patio to fix it but I might have to do it. If I take it out, I’ll have to dig up the patio. I’ll see what Melissa and Joe think.

Cleaning up the basement will be a big chore, too. I dread it.

I hope to get to bed early so I’ll be taking Danny for his walk now.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/09/07 7:13 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Well, I ran around tonight getting things straightened up for Joe to do the wallboard in the stair well and for Arlene to do the cleaning. I called her to let her know the workmen would be coming in so they would scare her when they walked in the door. She starts in the kitchen so the floor will be dry when they get here.

I watered the front lawn and the west side tonight. The east side is getting done as I write. I put some boxes of clutter in the car and took it to the garage. Danny has had his walk his ears have been done and he has gone to bed.

Do you believe it’s 9:00pm and the temp is 88 degrees. What happened to cooling down at night? It was 76 degrees at 5am. I think it went to 98 today so I guess it cooled down 10 degrees.

I like working at the hospital. Everyone is very nice. The security guy comes around every so often to make sure all is well. It’s his job to check on everyone. The cafeteria guy knows my name. I don’t know his. I’ll have to find out so I won’t be embarrassed.

Linda was a meeting all day so I was holding down the fort. I had to take two photos for ID badges. I got the photos into the computer but getting then out is another story. It didn’t happen. Linda will help me tomorrow. I used the Quick Charge program where the people swipe their badge and can purchase items and even use it to but food in the cafeteria. I sell ticket to the employees for movies and amusement parks. I figured out the program but I put the number of tickets instead of the amount. I canceled and had to have the guy swipe it over again.

I was ready to go to sleep an hour ago so I sign off for now,

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/08/07 9:18 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tuesday, August 7.2007

It was a scorcher today. Danny spent the day in the air conditioned cat house. Erica had fans on her donkeys and her colt. Her dogs were in the house. Danny barked at first but settled down quickly.

I talked to my cousin after word and then to my aunt. My other cousin was in surgery all day and is doing well afterward. It was a long day for them as he had two different surgeries.

My real estate lady called and said her husband would start the work this week. I forget whether she said tomorrow or Thursday. Anyway, he’ll be starting on the hall ceiling and Friday will do the laundry room. I told him I would take the old tiles down and I hadn’t done it yet. I did that tonight. I let the hedge go as it was stinking hot. The air smells putrid. I thought it would be cooler working inside but that room isn’t air conditioned. It was hot but the job is done.

My friend Cheryl called in the middle of the project so I have to get back to her and it’s almost bedtime.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/07/07 8:54 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Monday, August 6, 2007

Monday, August 6, 2007

I went to a play Saturday night. Erica, Danny’s dog sitter, had gone on Thursday and she told me about it on Friday. Pageant Wagon Players put on a production of The Ballad of Maggie Maloney. It was held at Erica’s church. The actors were young people between the ages of 14 and perhaps 20. They attended or recently graduated from the Christian School and St. Augustine’s Academy. I hesitated to go by myself but I didn’t want to stay home either. When I walked in the door, I saw my friends from Nature Club sitting in the front so I went up and sat with them. It was an excellent play. They put one on every summer. I hope to go next year.

Work went well. My supervisor, Linda, had meetings all day so I was on my own. I had lots of filing to do and some people came in needing help. If I don’t know the answer, I know who I can call to find out. Everyone if very nice. Anna stopped in to say “Hello.” I worked with her a couple years ago at the Bridgeton Division.

I stopped at the Mennonite Farm Market and got some peaches and a cantaloupe. The cantaloupe smelled delicious but was disappointing. The part nearest the seed area was very sweet but it was only a thin layer and the rest was tasteless. I got some Cole slaw at Kentucky Fried on my way to Pep Boys. I need a headlight and wanted them to install it which they did. From there, I went to pick up my Boy; my Danny Boy. He was happy to see me.

I changed my clothes and took him for a walk. He walked a short way, did his business and immediately wanted to go back home. I guess he didn’t like the heat.

I gave him his dinner and I fixed some yellow zucchini, corn on the cob, and made a salad of a fresh Jersey tomato, the Cole slaw and some cheese. I had the disappointing melon for dessert. I should have had a Klondike Bar.

I waited until 7:30 to trim the hedge. I thought it would be cooler. It was hotter than ever. The humidity was oppressive. I divided the job in half. I’ll do the other half tomorrow. I couldn’t wait for the weekend or cooler weather because it would be out of control. The rain made it grow.

I’ve cooled down now and will be taking Danny out soon.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/06/07 8:38 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Something about the heat really tires one out. I went to Pennsylvania and picked up my two brothers and my sister-in-law. I had appointments to see two houses. The first one had a lovely little brook at the end of the back yard. I looked at the house on the other side of the creek, a flood had taken out their deck at one time, and it was still hanging there over the bank of the stream. It reminded us of the mudslides in California. I looked around at the back yard and saw the muddiness of the flood plain where the house I was looking at was built. Forget that one.

Nest house. It was a charming little house. It has a lovely living room with fireplace and lovely bow windows looking out at the side. The dinning room was also lovely and came with nice dinning room furniture. It had hard wood floors. The kitchen was a galley kitchen and there was a great room adjoining it with an office room off to the side and a stairway door to the finished basement. Upstairs were two lovely bedrooms. However, the windows on the stairway were black. We looked outside and they were covered over with stucco siding. I don't know why someone would do that. Now the weird thing about this place is that there are two separate basements. The old basement was a stone foundation with the mortar crumbling and obviously, water leaks in. The front porch was concrete slab with cracks all across and one of the brick columns was cracked. It had a nice side yard and was a corner property on a dead end street. The back yard had a drive with some kind of trelliswork that may be a carport but open trellis top. A nice little storage shed was at the end of the carport - trellis area. The other side was close to the neighbors and you couldn't do much with it. The back yard was a disaster. It looked like a dumping ground and it backed up to the railroad. I' have lived next to railroad and you get used to it. After a while, you don't know it's there. The same with the close proximity to the Philadelphia Airport. The side yard had a little pond with a fountain. It wasn't working but it looked cute. All in all, it looked like too much work needed to be done on it. We stopped at WaWa to get some sandwiches. We were hot from the heat, as the air-conditioning was not turned on. We wee hungry as we had not eaten and it was 2:30pm. We saw an open house near the WaWa so went in for a quick look. It was in perfect condition buy had no fireplace and the rooms were small. It was a Cape Cod with a raised roof dormer. It had a lovely kitchen, two baths and a big fenced in back yard for Danny Boy. It was, however, more expensive. I guess I'm going to have to pay more and get a house that is suitable.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/05/07 9:22 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Saturday, August 4, 2007

For some reason, my entry for last night went in twice on the site but there was only one entry one the page where I Create it. I deleted the entry and both were deleted.

I wrote how busy I was at work yesterday afternoon. Linda went to a meeting and I was alone in the office. I had five people come in for various things and three lines lighting up on the phone. I thought I was going to go nuts. Otherwise, it went well.

The kennel Danny stays in had an invasion of ants. They covered his food bow. When I picked it up, they got all over me. Erica had to spray and rinse it. The next day, I could smell the spray so I knew the smell would be even stronger for Danny. Erica put him in another kennel. They have six or seven kennel pens. They used to breed collies.

It was very hot yesterday. It didn't cool down at night. The air conditioners are going full blast. It is just as hot today.

I took Danny out at six but he didn't go far. I did some things around the house until I could cut the grass at nine. It was hot then. After I rested and cooled down, I walked Danny. He didn't go too for that time either. I guess it's too hot for him. I went out to run my errands. I got some stamps and mailed my letters at the Post Office. I returned the curtains at Boscov's. I got some paper at Staples for the Nature Club Programs to be printed on. I went in Wal-Mart and got and ironing board cover and vacuum cleaner bags. I browsed through the Pet Store. I’m looking for a toy stuffed bone like one that Danny has. He likes one particular on and not others. He also likes the beanie dog that one of Ted's clients gave to Ted when he was in the hospital. It is the color of her dog named Bonnie so I named the toy Bonnie. Danny knows it by name. He also knows the purple toy bone as either bone or toy. He knows the word Walk and is always ready to go.

I did my grocery shopping at the Super Market in the complex I mentioned above.

I had some lunch and am cooling down. I hope to paint the kitchen wall and that closet in the laundry room this afternoon so I'd better get going.

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/04/07 2:50 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (2)

Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday Flowerblogging


Yellow lily. The last of this yellow lily bloomed yesterday. I had a beautiful star gazer lily out front just like the previou posting but unfortunately,I didn't get a shot of it. This is the last of the lilies for the summer unles the stella dora blooms again. I will begin digging up some of my bulbs to take with me. I will also take as many flowers as I can. I hate to leave them. Who knows if they will be cared for but the next owners. I have new neighbors who ripped out azaleas, irises, and even their grass. They have replace the flowers and shrubs and the lawn is totally crab grass.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/03/07 5:13 AM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Genealogy Blogging

Copy of Mayberry.jpg

The is a water color painting by Willaim Ludwell Sheppard(1833-1912), 2nd Lt., Richmond Howitzers, Confederate Army. The original is in the Museum of the Confederacy in Ricmond. My uncle visitied the museum and found this on a postcard. It is an extremely strong resemblance of his grandfather and my great grandfather, Mayberry G. Small. Maybery served was a cavalryman in the Confederate Army of Virginia. When I find a photo of Mayberry, I will post it so you can see the resemblance.

Posted by tedkarol on 08/02/07 9:15 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Thursday, August 2, 2007

I didn’t have time to eat my breakfast this morning. It is hard to get out the door by 6:15. I have to get Danny walked and get ready and get him to Erica’s. I’m not a morning person but it is good to get home by 4:00. I was able to buy breakfast at the hospital but had to wait until 8:00. I took some brownies and was able to buy some coffee.

They got my computer up and running. I still have some programs that have my name spelled with a C and some spelled with a K. I have to keep track of what’s what.

Joe came and gave me estimates on the work that needs to be done on the house. It was reasonable. I just wish we could have had it done years ago. I hate fixing it up for someone else. But someone else will be fixing there house up for me.

Danny has gone to bed and I will be going up shortly. I want to put a photo up on the blog and do some reading.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/02/07 8:38 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (1)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I made it to my job by 7am but I had to pack my breakfast and take it with me. The computer was still not working properly and they have my name in twice. Once as Armstrongk and again as armstongc. Karol and Carol. Carol is from when I worked there two years ago; it was entered before they knew the correct spelling of my name. I had forgotten they spelled my name with a c so I had them put it in with a k. I forget my password for the “C” and can’t get to those programs using the “K”.

In addition, the server was down yesterday and it was not back up today. The settings have to be redone on some of the computers. I wasn’t able to do some of my work. I have a pile on my desk.

I left early to help Ted’s client and we went through the end of month reports. We forgot to do the aging so we had to go back and do some of the reports and the statements over.

I will be going to Toastmasters this evening so I am blogging early. I will probably be dragging tomorrow when it’s time to get up.

Joe will be coming tomorrow afternoon to measure the ceiling and give an estimate. So, we will get going on that project. I hope to paint the kitchen this weekend and finish up in the closet in the computer room.

I bought gas at BJ’s for $2.679; WaWa was $2.699.

I had an inch of rain in the gauge on Sunday and 2 ½ inches on Monday. When I came home from work I thought the street sweeper had swept up the leaves then I realized the rain had either washed them away or the flood waters left them up on the curb. There was a piece of lumber that floated up on my front lawn. The high water mark was up over the sidewalk just to the edge of the lawn. Vineland is very flat and when the water comes down that fast, the storm drain cannot carry it away fast enough. It must have been a heck of a flood as the high water mark went nearly to the garage. On State Street, the debris is wrapped around someone’s truck tires.

I want to do a couple chores before going to Toastmaster’s so I close for now.

News from the Vorlon Wife.

Posted by The Vorlon on 08/01/07 5:12 PM | Link | Enter your comments here (0)